Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Richmond Slave Trail
Identical statues in Liverpool, England; Benin, West Africa; and Richmond, Virginia, memorialize the British, African, and American triangular trade route, now identified as the Reconciliation Triangle. Traders profited from delivering over 114,000 Africans to Virginia between the 1600’s and the American Revolution – and at least 337,800 to other North American places before 1808. The “triangle” extended between Liverpool and other large British cities, Benin and other West African kingdoms, and Virginia and other North American colonies and states. Profits from the sale of enslaved Africans, profits from the commodities they produced and the benefits of these products in Anglo-American lifestyles financed major British and North American economic development.
Richmond’s journey towards racial healing began with its first “walk through history” organized by the Elegba Folklore Society in 1993 with the marking of the historic Slave Trail. In 1999, President Mathieu Kerek of the republic of Benin convened an international gathering at which he apologized for Benin’s part in selling fellow Africans to slave traders. Also in 1999, Liverpool City Council apologized for that city’s prominent role in the trade. In 2007, Virginia’s General Assembly voted unanimously to express profound
“Forgiveness does not change the past but it does enlarge the future.” - Paul Boese
Richmond Slave Trail Commission
The Honorable Reverend Delores L. McQuinn, Chairperson • Janine Y. Bell, Chairperson • Nessa Baskerville • Johnson • Reverend Benjamin P. Campbell • Charles S. Vaughan • Ralph R. White • Kennis Wooten • Dr. Philp J. Schwartz • Jennie Dotts • Reverend Sylvester L. Turner • Project Manager – Jeannie Welliver, City of Richmond • Statue Sculptor and Design – Stephen Broadbent & Faith Bebbington • Plaza and Fountain Design – Burt Pinnock, BAM Architects • General Contractor – Brooks & Co. General Contractors, Inc.
This installation made possible by the generosity and cooperation of the Commonwealth of Virginia and the City of Richmond.
About the Trail
Designed as a walking path, the Richmond Slave Trail chronicles the history of the trade in enslaved Africans from their homeland to Virginia until 1778, and away from Virginia, especially Richmond, to other locations in the Americas until 1865. The trail begins at the Manchester Docks, which, alongside Rocketts Landing on the north side of the river, operated as a major port in the massive downriver slave trade,
Title image: “After the Sale: Slaves Going South”, 1853, Painted from live by Eyre Crowe, courtesy the Chicago History Museum
Erected 2011 by Richmond Slave Trail Commission. (Marker Number 13.)
Location. 37° 32.085′ N, 77° 25.825′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street (U.S. 60) and North 15th Street, on the left when traveling east on East Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond VA 23219, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Triangle (a few steps from this marker); Odd Fellows Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Slave Auction Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Bell Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); Auction Houses (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Kahal Kadosh Beth Shalome (about 600 feet away); The Old State Capitol (about 600 feet away); The General Assembly of Virginia (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
Also see . . .
1. Richmond City Council Slave Trail Commission. (Submitted on April 20, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
2. Old Marker at this Location. This marker replaced an older one at this location titled “Trade Reconciliation Triangle" (Submitted on April 20, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Abolition & Underground RR • African Americans • Peace •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 20, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,321 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 20, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.