Detroit in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The First Theater in Michigan
In the top story of a government warehouse on this site, in the year 1819, was located Michiganís first theatre. Amateur performances were given by officers stationed at Fort Shelby for their families and other civilians. In 1826 the first Thespian Society was organized.
Presented to the City of Detroit in the month of September, 1926.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 42° 19.457′ N, 83° 3.178′ W. Marker was in Detroit, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker was on the foot of Wayne Street near present-day Steve Yzerman Drive. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Detroit MI 48226, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Fort Street Presbyterian Church (approx. ľ mile away); The Detroit Free Press (approx. 0.3 miles away); Detroit Free Press (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Detroit News (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort Pontchartrain (approx. 0.3 miles away); James A. Bailey (approx. 0.3 miles away); Veterans' Memorial Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Comerica Incorporated (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Detroit.
More about this marker. Wayne Street no longer ends at the Detroit River due to new construction so the exact location can no longer be ascertained.
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 20, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 381 times since then and 3 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on April 20, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?