Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
—Claude & Starck —
Erected 1977 by the Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 54.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission marker series.
Location. 43° 4.808′ N, 89° 21.839′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of South Ingersoll Street and Rutledge Street, on the right when traveling south on South Ingersoll Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 620 South Ingersoll Street, Madison WI 53703, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Orton Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Curtis-Kittleson House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Orton Park Harvey Hospital (about 700 feet away); Governor Leonard Farwell lived here, in his octagonal mansion (about 700 feet away); Cutter House (about 700 feet away); Gay Liberation Sculpture (about 700 feet away); B. B. Clarke House (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Regarding Lougee House. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, the Prairie School of architecture is evident in the Lougee house due to "its broad, slate-shingled roof, horizontal massing, belt courses and sweeping terrace. ... Lougee (1850-1932) was a native of Exeter, New Hampshire. He operated a number of hotels and clubs, including the Park Hotel and University Club in Madison, and the Palmer House in Chicago."
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. This is a list of markers for buildings designed by Claude & Starck.
Also see . . . Madison Landmarks Commission. The landmark nomination form for the house (pdf). (Submitted on April 21, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 21, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 862 times since then and 179 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 21, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.