Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The First Telephone Exchange South of the Potomac River
of the Potomac River opened
at this site April 1, 1879
1219 E. Main Street
Old Dominion Chapter
Telephone Pioneers of America
C.&P. Telephone Co. of Va.
Erected 1979 by Telephone Pioneers of America.
Location. 37° 32.168′ N, 77° 25.99′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of South 13th Street and East Main Street (U.S. 60), on the right when traveling south on South 13th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1219 East Main Street, Richmond VA 23219, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Black Hawk (1767-1838) (within shouting distance of this marker); Powers-Taylor Building (within shouting distance of this marker); 1300-1304 East Cary Street (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 1200 Block East Cary Street (about 300 feet away); Commercial Block (about 400 feet away); Columbian Block (about 400 feet away); 1201 East Cary Street (about 500 feet away); Bowers Brothers Coffee and Tea Building (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
Categories. • Communications •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 22, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 399 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 22, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.