Quanassee Town and the Spikebuck Mound
Archaelogical evidence indicates that Quanassee was a substantial settlement as early as 1550, and most of Spikebuck mound was constructed before the first English explorers came to the area in the 1690s. In 1716, South Carolina officials Col. George Chicken and Major John Herbert met with Cherokee leaders at Quanassee to secure Cherokee alliance in the Yamassee War. In 1717, South Carolina established a public trading "factory" (store and warehouse) at Quanassee to supply the region with English manufactured goods in exchange for deerskins and other Cherokee commodities. The main route between the English settlement in
In its heyday, Quanassee was home to several hundred people, but by 1721, it was among the smallest Cherokee towns, with only 104 people (37 men, 31 women, and 36 children). The threat of attack during the protracted Creek-Cherokee War (ca 1716-1752) drove many townspeople to seek more secure settlements. Their fears were well founded; in 1725m a Coosa (Creek) war party "cut off" Quanassee, destroying the town and killing or enslaving most of its inhabitants. The settlement was defunct for many years, but a new community established itself at Quanassee prior to the American Revolution. In 1776, Rutherford expedition forces "campt at Quannasy Town on hywasey" before razing the Cherokee Valley Towns. When Benjamin Hawkins passed through the area in 1797, he saw that "...on the left bank of this was the town of Quannasee, for many years the residene of Cornelius Daughterty, an old Irish trader; at present there is nothing remaining of the old town except open flats where were formerly the corn fields..." The area was known as Quanassee into the 1820's, when Baptist missionaries came to preach to families living at "Quansee."
Erected by Cherokee Preservation Foundation.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Hembree (approx. 0.6 miles away); In Memory Our War Dead (approx. 0.6 miles away); George W. Truett (approx. 0.6 miles away); Towns County (approx. 7.5 miles away in Georgia); Brasstown Bald (approx. 10.1 miles away in Georgia but has been reported missing); Trackrock Gap (approx. 10.1 miles away in Georgia but has been reported missing); a different marker also named Brasstown Bald (approx. 12 miles away in Georgia); Track Rock Gap (approx. 12 miles away in Georgia). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hayesville.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 24, 2011, by Stephen Bell of Biloxi, Mississippi. This page has been viewed 1,431 times since then and 73 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 24, 2011, by Stephen Bell of Biloxi, Mississippi. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.