Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
In 1865 the district of Columbus known as Flytown was subdivided into city lots. Brick and frame houses dotted the area and a friendly community soon emerged. Industry did not locate here because of the lack of necessary facilities. In order to obtain water, light and power, the district was annexed to the city in 1880. Industry began to move in since building sites were cheap, railroads and highways provided transportation, and water became available. An iron foundry was established in 1870 to be followed a few years later by The United States Pipe and Foundry Company. In 1900 the Columbus Forge and Iron Company and The Commercial Paste Company built plants in Flytown. In 1901 The Franklin Lumber and Furniture Company was founded
Erected 1961 by The Franklin County Historical Society, June 16, 1961. Made possible through the contributions of present and former residents for Flytown.
Location. 39° 58.433′ N, 83° 0.528′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is on West Goodale Street west of Park Street. Touch for map. It is on the southern edge of Goodale Park, almost at Dennison Avenue. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus OH 43215, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lincoln Goodale (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tod Barracks, 1863 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Columbus' First Professional Game (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Columbus Buckeyes (approx. The Western League (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Negro Leagues in Columbus (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Columbus Senators (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Red Birds (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Also see . . . Flytown Wikipedia Entry. “Decline. The neighborhood, considered lower-class, was hit hard by the Great Depression, beginning a cycle of decline. By 1953, the Columbus Redevelopment Authority declared the area blighted, and a bond was passed to raize much of the neighborhood. The Goodale Expressway, which would eventually become I-670, began construction, resulting in further destruction of the neighborhood as it cut through its heart. ... Renewal. The city invested $6 million in what they called Thurber Village in Flytown’s place, and high-rise apartment complexes sprang up, including Thurber Towers and Westminster Terrace. ... Present. Today the neighborhood is rarely referred to as Flytown as neighboring areas have incorporated much of what was Flytown as part of their own. The Victorian Village and Arena District have become some of (Submitted on May 7, 2011.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 7, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 595 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 7, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.