Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Shamong Township in Burlington County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Indian Reservation

 
 
Brotherton-Edgepillock Indian Reservation Marker image. Click for full size.
By John Intile, May 8, 2011
1. Brotherton-Edgepillock Indian Reservation Marker
The Marker at the south face of the Indian Mills Methodist Church
Inscription. Founded in 1758 by the New Jersey provincial legislature on the Edgepillock or Brotherton tract, now Indian Mills. Under the guidance of the Reverend John Brainerd, a self supporting community was established here. In 1801, the Indians accepted the invitation of the Oneidas in New York to “come and eat out of our dish."
 
Erected 1958 by The Archeological Society of New Jersey.
 
Location. 39° 47.641′ N, 74° 44.664′ W. Marker is in Shamong Township, New Jersey, in Burlington County. Marker is at the intersection of Willow Grove Road (County Route 648) and Indian Mills Road (County Route 620), on the right when traveling west on Willow Grove Road. Touch for map. The marker is on the grounds of the Indian Mills Methodist Church just west of a five-point intersection created by the convergence of three roads: Willow Grove(CR648), CR620(Burnt House Rd-Indian Mill Rd), and Forked Neck Road. Marker is in this post office area: Vincentown NJ 08088, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Country Store (within shouting distance of this marker); First Fire Station (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Thompson Home
The five-point intersection. The marker can be seen in the distance on the south face of the church. image. Click for full size.
By John Intile, May 8, 2011
2. The five-point intersection. The marker can be seen in the distance on the south face of the church.
The five-point intersection facing toward the northwest and suggestive of an historical prominance of this spot.
(about 700 feet away); Bedford Mills (approx. 0.2 miles away); Brainerd (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sawmill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Meeting House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Red Men's Hall (approx. 0.7 miles away).
 
Regarding Indian Reservation. The Indians of the Brotherton-Edgepillock Reservation attempted to persevere here but, after some initial success, began to falter and became demoralized after a fire destroyed the grist mill. Eventually, they accepted an invitation to join the Oneida Indians in New York thus bringing an end to the first and only Native American reservation in New Jersey, and reportedly the first such reservation in America.
 
Additional keywords. indian resvervations
 
Categories. Native Americans
 
Site of the Indian-operated grist mill. image. Click for full size.
By John Intile, May 8, 2011
3. Site of the Indian-operated grist mill.
Located 0.1 miles to the east of the reservation marker along Willow Grove Road.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 9, 2011, by John Intile of Toms River, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 796 times since then and 11 times this year. Last updated on May 9, 2011, by John Intile of Toms River, New Jersey. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 9, 2011, by John Intile of Toms River, New Jersey. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement