Lamar in Barton County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Lamar is distinguished as the birthplace of Harry S. Truman, the 33rd President of the United States. The son of John Anderson Truman and Martha Ellen (Young) Truman, he was born May 8, 1884. The family moved to Harrisonville in Cass County, 1886, and from there to Grandview and Independence in Jackson County. Here in Lamar is the birthplace, and the Truman Library and the home are in Independence.
In Harry S. Truman's national career, he served as U.S. Senator from Mo., 1935-45; U.S. Vice President, 1945; and President, 1945-53. Highlights of his administration include the end of World War II; ratification of United Nations Charter; establishment of Atomic Energy Commission; unification of Armed Services; and "police action," through UN, in Korea. His philosophy of government, "the welfare of all," was called the "Fair Deal."
Lamar was laid out, 1856-57, as the seat of Barton County. Named for Republic of Texas Pres. Mirabeau B. Lamar, the town was founded by George Ward on land he gave the county. Organized, 1855, the county is named for Missouri's U.S. Sen. David Barton.
(See other side)
(Continued from other side)
Here on the horseshoe bend of the north fork of Spring River, in the Prairie Region of southwest Missouri, 980 feet above sea level, Lamar serves
In the Missouri-Kansas Border War, 1854-59, lawless bands ranged the county and in the Civil War terror and disorder characterized the region. Quantrill and his guerrilla band raided and burned Lamar, occupied by Union troops, November 5 and 11, 1862. The town was again burned by raiders, May 28, 1864.
Almost depopulated at war's close, Lamar and Barton County slowly recovered. In 1880 the Kansas City, Ft. Scott, and Gulf Railroad (Frisco) reached here, and the Mo. Pac., 1881. Lamar College, closed in early 1900's, opened, 1889. Arthur Aull (1872-1948) widely known for his unusual news policy, became editor of the "Lamar Democrat," 1900. Northwest is Liberal. Founded in 1880 by G. H. Walser, it was once a community of free-thinkers. To the southwest is Mindenmines, a shipping point for coal, founded in 1883.
Erected 1957 by State Historical Society of Missouri and State Highway Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Missouri, State Historical Society of marker series.
Location. 37° 29.682′ N, 94° 16.643′ W. Marker is in Lamar, Missouri, in Barton Touch for map. Marker is on the southwest grounds of the county courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Lamar MO 64759, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Harry S. Truman (within shouting distance of this marker); Replica of the Statue of Liberty (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); McCook Post No. 34 G.A.R. Civil War Memorial (about 300 feet away); Harry S Truman (approx. 0.3 miles away); Harry S. Truman Birthplace Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. City of Lamar, Missouri. (Submitted on May 10, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Barton County, Missouri. (Submitted on May 10, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Politics • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 10, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 638 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 10, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.