Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chippewa Falls in Chippewa County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Chippewa Springs

 
 
Chippewa Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, April 27, 2011
1. Chippewa Springs Marker
Inscription. Millions of years ago the Midwest area of North America was covered by a great inland sea that laid down virgin white Cambrian sandstone. As the sea filled in, most of this sandstone became buried thousands of feet below the surface. The rim however, remained exposed for thousands of years. Little by little, the rim was scraped away by glaciers until a single outcropping remained. This outcropping is the source of the Chippewa Spring ... a hillside pouring forth crystal clear, naturally pure spring water.

In 1700 a French explorer Pierre LeSueur, discovered the Spring and recorded in his journal how he heard the legend of Hiawatha. American poet Ezra Pound later used this as the basis of a poem celebrating Chippewa Spring water as the love potion with which Hiawatha wooed the beautiful Minnehaha.

In 1887, Wisconsin Governor Thaddeus Pound became convinced it was Chippewa Spring water that had restored his health. He bought the surrounding land and turned it into a farm complete with vineyards, gardens, walking paths and a health club. Chippewa Spring Water was shipped coast to coast on railroad dining cars and became the official water in Chicago hospitals. The Pillsbury's of Minneapolis owned the Chippewa Springs in addition to their famous flour mills from 1936 to 1957.

"Save the 100 year old Spring
Chippewa Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, April 27, 2011
2. Chippewa Springs Marker
House" became a restoration project in 1993 and was undertaken jointly by the company and the community to preserve this historic landmark. Complete with glass floor, underground lighting and trillium pathway, this famous spring house was rededicated by Wisconsin Governor Tommy Thompson during the Chippewa Falls' Pure Water Days celebration, 100 years to the day of its original dedication. The restored historic white spring house is located directly across the street.

Chippewa County Historical Society Marker Sign #15
 
Erected by the Chippewa County Historical Society. (Marker Number 15.)
 
Location. 44° 55.805′ N, 91° 22.728′ W. Marker is in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, in Chippewa County. Marker is on East Park Avenue (County Highway J) 0.1 miles west of Industrial Boulevard, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 600 East Park Avenue, Chippewa Falls WI 54729, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Yellowstone Trail (approx. mile away); Reverend Charles F.X. Goldsmith (approx. 0.6 miles away); Notre Dame Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old McDonell High School
Chippewa Spring House image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, April 27, 2011
3. Chippewa Spring House
(approx. 0.6 miles away); Hiram Stores Allen (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Marsh Rainbow Arch Bridge (approx. 0.7 miles away); Oldest Commercial Building in Chippewa Falls (approx. mile away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chippewa Falls.
 
Also see . . .  Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin. Wikipedia entry. "A Spring House was built over the original spring in 1893 and remains today, across from the modern water bottling plant on Park Ave." (Submitted on May 11, 2011.) 
 
Categories. Natural Features
 
Chippewa Spring House image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, April 27, 2011
4. Chippewa Spring House
Directly across the street from the marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 11, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 724 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 11, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.
Paid Advertisement