Leesburg in Loudoun County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Lee Comes to Leesburg
Conference at Harrison Hall
That afternoon, in the first-floor room to the right of the front door, Lee quietly visited with his son Robert, a private in the Rockbridge Artillery. Later, escorted by two young daughters of the household, the general walked to the home of John Janney, which still stands at 10 Cornwall Street. Janney had served as president of the Virginia Secession Convention in 1861. Although Janney voted against secession, it was he who handed the sword of command of Virginia's troops to Lee.
The next morning, a rare conference too place when Gens. Lee, Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson, J.E.B. Stuart, James Longstreet, and
"The doorways and curbstones are like living bouquets of beauty - everything that wears a crinoline or pretty face is out."
- Felix de Fontaine, Charleston (SC) Daily Courier, 1862, on the reception of Lee's army into Leesburg
Erected 2011 by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 39° 7.062′ N, 77° 33.82′ W. Marker is in Leesburg, Virginia, in Loudoun County. Marker is at the intersection of North King Street (Business U.S. 15) and North Street, on the right when traveling south on North King Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 205 North King Street, Leesburg VA 20176, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Glenfiddich House (within shouting distance of this marker); Mt. Zion United Methodist Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Early Methodism in Leesburg In Memory of Richard Owings (about 700 feet away); Confederate Soldiers (about 700 feet away); Fighting for Freedom (about 700 feet away); In Memory of the Heroic Dead (approx. 0.2 miles away); Loudoun County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leesburg.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 11, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,207 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 11, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.