Vandalia in Fayette County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Robert K. McLaughlin Home
On this site lived Robert K. McLaughlin, State Treasurer 1820-1823, State Senator 1828-1832, 1836-1837, and Register of the United States Land Office 1837-1845. Here the Governors of Illinois resided when the Legislature was in session. The McLaughlin home was the social center during the time that the capital was in Vandalia.
Erected by Illinois State Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Illinois State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 38° 57.715′ N, 89° 5.625′ W. Marker is in Vandalia, Illinois, in Fayette County. Marker is on Main Street near Kennedy Boulevard (U.S. 51), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is immediately west of the Fayette County Museum (former 1860s Presbyterian Church building). Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 West Main Street, Vandalia IL 62471, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. House of Divine Worship (within shouting distance of this marker); Internal Improvements (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Ernst Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Ebenezer Capps' Store Lincoln and the "Long Nine" (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Third State Capitol (about 300 feet away); Lincoln As A Polished Politician (about 300 feet away); First Protest Against Slavery (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vandalia.
Also see . . . History of Vandalia, Illinois. (Submitted on May 12, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Entertainment • Politics • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 12, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 468 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 12, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.