Vandalia in Fayette County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
House of Divine Worship
Erected in 1823
The Illinois General Assembly donated five lots in Vandalia to promote the construction of a church for the use of all denominations. The forty-five by sixty feet one-story frame structure erected in the summer of 1823 was used primarily by the Presbyterians and Methodists and also for public meetings and as a schoolhouse.
Erected by Illinois State Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Illinois State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 38° 57.713′ N, 89° 5.606′ W. Marker is in Vandalia, Illinois, in Fayette County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Kennedy Boulevard (U.S. 51), on the right when traveling west on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at the Fayette County Museum (former 1860s Presbyterian Church building). Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 West Main Street, Vandalia IL 62471, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Robert K. McLaughlin Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Ernst Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Internal Improvements (within shouting distance of this marker); Third State Capitol Lincoln As A Polished Politician (about 300 feet away); Ebenezer Capps' Store (about 300 feet away); Lincoln and the "Long Nine" (about 300 feet away); First Protest Against Slavery (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vandalia.
Also see . . . History of Vandalia, Illinois. (Submitted on May 12, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 12, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 440 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 12, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.