Vandalia in Fayette County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Site of Ernst Hotel
Here stood a two-story log building erected in 1819 for Ferdinand Ernst who brought the German colony to Vandalia. Named Union Hall, it was operated as a hotel. After Ernst's death in 1823 it was managed by E.M. Townsend, and from April 1825 by Frederick Hollman.
Erected 1954 by Illinois State Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Illinois State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 38° 57.694′ N, 89° 5.59′ W. Marker is in Vandalia, Illinois, in Fayette County. Marker is on 3rd Street (U.S. 40/51) near Main Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is mounted in the sidewalk, on the southside of the railroad cut. Marker is at or near this postal address: 104 South 3rd Street (Kennedy Boulevard), Vandalia IL 62471, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Internal Improvements (within shouting distance of this marker); House of Divine Worship (within shouting distance of this marker); Robert K. McLaughlin Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Lincoln As A Polished Politician (within shouting distance Third State Capitol (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lincoln and the "Long Nine" (about 400 feet away); Ebenezer Capps' Store (about 400 feet away); First Protest Against Slavery (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vandalia.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. History of Vandalia, Illinois. (Submitted on May 13, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Ferdinand Ernst and the German Colony. (Submitted on May 13, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 13, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 402 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 13, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.