Fayetteville in Fayette County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 56-1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 26.907′ N, 84° 27.293′ W. Marker is in Fayetteville, Georgia, in Fayette County. Marker is at the intersection of Glynn Street South (Georgia Route 85) and East Lanier Avenue (Georgia Route 54), on the right when traveling north on Glynn Street South. Touch for map. The marker stands at the northwest corner of the Fayette County Old Courthouse Square. Marker is in this post office area: Fayetteville GA 30214, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured In Memory of the Confederate Heroes (a few steps from this marker); World’s Longest Courthouse Bench (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Holliday-Dorsey-Fife House (about 300 feet away); Governor Hugh M. Dorsey (approx. 0.2 miles away); Flat Rock African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 3.9 miles away); Skirmish at Shakerag (approx. 5.2 miles away); Constantine Memorial (approx. 7 miles away); Diverted Attack (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fayetteville.
Regarding Fayette County. The courthouse, built in 1825, is the oldest courthouse in Georgia still in use, although a new courthouse annex was erected in 1985 after an arsonist tried to burn this courthouse (thinking it would delay or cancel his trial). The courthouse was restored, and a Fayette County Administrative Complex was completed in 1992.
Also see . . .
1. Fayette County, Georgia. (Submitted on May 20, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
2. Fayette County Historical Society. (Submitted on May 20, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 18, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 710 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 18, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.