Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
River Falls in Covington County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Montezuma

 
 
Montezuma Marker image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, May 14, 2011
1. Montezuma Marker
Inscription. On December 18, 1821, the Alabama General Assembly appointed Covington County commissioners William Carter Jr., James R. Mobley, Aaron Lockhart, Henry Jones, and Abel Polk “to fix and designate a suitable place for a seat of Justice, and to contract for, and superintend the erection of such public buildings” as necessary for the use of the county. Originally known as Covington Court House, the county seat was named Montezuma by 1824 and was located on the banks of the Conecuh River near this site. Due to repeated flooding, the seat of justice was moved to present day Andalusia in 1844 and Montezuma was eventually abandoned.
 
Erected 2005 by Alabama Historical Association.
 
Location. 31° 20.636′ N, 86° 31.491′ W. Marker is in River Falls, Alabama, in Covington County. Marker is on River Falls Street (U.S. 84) 0.2 miles east of Heath Road (County Route 70), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: River Falls AL 36476, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Horseshoe Lumber Company / River Falls Power Company (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old Courthouse Clock Bell (approx. 3 miles away); Bank of Andalusia National Historic Place (approx. 3 miles away); History of the Library / Andalusia Post Office becomes Public Library (approx. 3.6 miles away); First National Bank Building (approx. 3.6 miles away); Three Notch Road / Hank and Audrey Williams (approx. 3.6 miles away); Covington County Veterans Memorial Park (approx. 3.7 miles away); Covington County War Memorial (approx. 3.7 miles away).
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 18, 2011, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 713 times since then and 91 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on May 18, 2011, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement