Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kannapolis in Cabarrus County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Granville Grant

 
 
Granville Grant Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, May 6, 2011
1. Granville Grant Marker
The modern day Cabarrus/Rowan County Line (sign in background) follows the same path of the Granville Grant boundary.
Inscription. Formed northern half of colony of North Carolina. Southern boundary surveyed to a point near here in the fall of 1746.
 
Erected 1938 by North Carolina Archives and Highway Departments. (Marker Number L-13.)
 
Location. 35° 30.283′ N, 80° 36.539′ W. Marker is in Kannapolis, North Carolina, in Cabarrus County. Marker is on North Cannon Boulevard (U.S. 29) 0.1 miles north of Venus Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 704 North Cannon Boulevard, Kannapolis NC 28083, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. James W. Cannon (approx. 3.7 miles away); Charles A. Cannon (approx. 4.8 miles away); Jefferson Davis Camp (approx. 5.2 miles away); Rural Free Delivery (approx. 5.7 miles away); Griffith Rutherford (approx. 5.7 miles away); W. R. Odell (approx. 6.1 miles away); Red Hill (approx. 6.2 miles away); Jefferson Davis (approx. 6.7 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  NCGenWeb Project : ~ Granville District and its Grants~. Granville District was a sixty-mile-wide strip of land crossing the colony of North Carolina next to the Virginia boundary.
Wide view of the Granville Grant Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, May 6, 2011
2. Wide view of the Granville Grant Marker
North Carolina was a proprietary colony originally, with eight Lords Proprietors owning the land from 1663 to 1729. In 1729, seven of those eight lords were persuaded to sell their land back to the English Crown. The eighth Lord Proprietor at that time was John Carteret, Baron Carteret of Hawnes in the County of Bedford; and he refused to sell his share back to the Crown(Submitted on May 19, 2011, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 19, 2011, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 458 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 19, 2011, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement