Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Arab in Marshall County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

First United Methodist Church

 
 
First United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Judith Barber, February 6, 2011
1. First United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. Founded in 1892 under the leadership of the Rev. B.O.H. Cochran, this is the oldest church congregation inside Arabís original town limits of one square mile. Twenty-eight names were listed on the churchís original membership roll. Affiliated with the Methodist Episcopal Church South, the members built a wooden structure located on First Avenue Northwest in 1893. This building housed the Masonic Hall upstairs and church services downstairs. A second frame building was erected some years later. A larger, brick church was built in 1937. The church consecrated a new sanctuary at this location in May of 2000. Town founder Stephen Tuttle Thompson and Arabís first schoolteacher, Union Army Captain James Walter Elliott, served in many offices of the church from its founding until their deaths. One of their contemporaries and a former Confederate leader, the Rev. M.E. “Bushwhacker” Johnston, pastored the church during the 1890s and was said to have removed his two guns and placed them on the pulpit while he preached.
 
Erected 2008 by Alabama Historical Association.
 
Location. 34° 20.095′ N, 86° 30.014′ W. Marker is in Arab, Alabama, in Marshall County. Marker is on North Main Street 0.1 miles north of Northgate
First United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Judith Barber, February 6, 2011
2. First United Methodist Church Marker
View from N Main St.
Drive NW, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1058 N Main St, Arab AL 35016, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bear Meat Cabin Road (approx. 0.4 miles away); Gilliam Springs Baptist Church (approx. half a mile away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); First Arab High School (approx. one mile away); 1883 Methodist Church Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); Farmer's Exchange (approx. 1.3 miles away); Stephen Tuttle Thompson (approx. 1.3 miles away); Shoal Creek Baptist Church (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arab.
 
Also see . . .  Arab First United Methodist Church. (Submitted on February 8, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 7, 2011, by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. This page has been viewed 483 times since then and 20 times this year. Last updated on May 21, 2011, by Johnny Tidmore of Arab, Alabama. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 7, 2011, by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement