Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Camden in Carroll County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Camden / Jackson Township

 
 
Camden image. Click for full size.
By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, May 22, 2011
1. Camden
(Click on any of these photos to see the details.)
Inscription.
Side A
Camden
When the School Section, No. 16, was sold in 1832 Wm. Crooks, School Commissioner, reserved 16 acres and had a town site laid out by John Armstrong, Co. Surveyor. Col. Crooks (1787 - 1861) (War of 1812) kept the first cabin store about 40 yds. South. John E. Snoberger was the first Postmaster 1833. Dr. F. G. Armstrong (1822 - 1903) was pioneer physician and legislator. Jonathan Martin gave land for a church, cemetery and school, 1835. A. J. Thomas, E. C. Rice and Philip Ray were merchants and bankers; Royal Grosvenor and Geo. C. Sanderson area teachers. Musselman, McFarland, Robeson, McCain, Replogle, Porter area millers. The railroad came in 1872.

Side B
Jackson Township
John Odel entered the first land in 1825. The twp. was laid out in 1830, extending East and South to the county line. About 1827 Moses Aldridge, Elisha Brown, Adam Porter, John & Jeremiah Ballard settled on Bachelorís Run. Other settlers were Wm. Hance, 1828, Wm. Armstrong, John Lenon 1829, Philip Hewitt, Peter Replogle, Thos. Sterling, Saml. Wise, Peter Iman, John Musselman, Levi Cline, Jas. & Wm. Martin, Jacob Humrickhouse and David Zook. Lower Deer Creek Church of Brethren was organized in 1828 by Peter Replogle, Samuel Wise and Peter Iman, first minister. Other ministers
Jackson Township image. Click for full size.
By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, May 22, 2011
2. Jackson Township
were H. Vredenburg, Nebo Methodist; John P. Hay, Cumberland Presbyterian 1830.
 
Erected 1976 by Carroll County Historical Society.
 
Location. 40° 36.52′ N, 86° 32.413′ W. Marker is in Camden, Indiana, in Carroll County. Marker is on West Main Street west of Water Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 183 West Main Street, Camden IN 46917, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Flora (approx. 4.3 miles away); Flora War Memorials (approx. 4.4 miles away); Site of Cabin Home Gen. Samuel Milroy (approx. 6.2 miles away); Samuel Milroy (approx. 6.3 miles away); Burnett's Creek Arch (approx. 6.6 miles away); Carrollton on the Wabash (approx. 6.8 miles away); The Carrollton Bridge (approx. 6.8 miles away); Mentzer Tavern (approx. 6.8 miles away).
 
More about this marker. The marker is located in front of the Camden Public Library. The building was formerly the "Andrew Thomas House", which was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on December 27, 1984.
 
Also see . . .
1. Camden History. In 1833 (or 1830 by some records)
Wide View - - Camden image. Click for full size.
By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, May 22, 2011
3. Wide View - - Camden
this section was sold for less than $1500 and sixteen acres were reserved by the Commissioner for the purpose of laying out a village plat, to which the name of “Camden” was given. The community consisted of five houses – a little log cabin and four other dwellings. All but one were log buildings.
(Submitted on May 27, 2011.) 

2. The Camden-Jackson Twp. Public Library. (Submitted on February 20, 2012, by Annette Griessman of Camden, Indiana.)
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Wide View - - Jackson Township image. Click for full size.
By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, May 22, 2011
4. Wide View - - Jackson Township
Front View - - "Camden Public Library" & Camden / Jackson Township Marker image. Click for full size.
By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, May 22, 2011
5. Front View - - "Camden Public Library" & Camden / Jackson Township Marker
"Camden Public Library" & Camden / Jackson Township Marker image. Click for full size.
By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, May 22, 2011
6. "Camden Public Library" & Camden / Jackson Township Marker
The "Camden Public Library" is housed in the "Andrew Thomas House" which is on the National Registry of Historic Places as number 84000485.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 26, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 840 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 26, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement