Marietta in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old Zion Heritage Museum
In 1888, the present structure was built.
Original early 20th century pews are still used.
Placed on National Register of Historic Places in 1990. Restored in 1997. Museum established in 2003.
Location. 33° 57.3′ N, 84° 32.833′ W. Marker is in Marietta, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is at the intersection of Lemon Street and Haynes Street, on the right when traveling east on Lemon Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marietta GA 30060, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cherokee Treaty (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Clarke Library Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Judge Debra Halpern Bernes (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cobb County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Robert Edward Flournoy, Jr. (approx. 0.2 miles away); UDC And Kennesaw House (approx. ¼ mile away); Kennesaw House (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Kennesaw House (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marietta.
Also see . . . Zion Baptist Church website. The museum is believed to be the oldest building in Marietta. Its history described in a website here (Submitted on May 30, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 28, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 596 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 28, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.