Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Portage in Columbia County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Historic Indian Agency House

Built in 1832

 
 
Historic Indian Agency House Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, May 30, 2011
1. Historic Indian Agency House Marker
Inscription. The Indian Agency House was built in 1832 by the United States Government for John Harris Kinzie and his wife Juliette Magill Kinzie. John Kinzie was the Indian Agent to the Ho-Chunk (Winnebago) Indians. He had been assigned by the Government to protect the interest of the Ho-Chunk and pay them their stipend of silver.

Juliette Magill Kinzie wrote Wau-Bun, the Early Day in the Northwest about her life at Fort Winnebago and the Agency House. Wau-Bun means early day in Anishanabi (Ojibwa). Wau-Bun includes sketches she made that depicted the Wisconsin landscape before the land rush by American and European settlers. Wau-Bun is one of the most important records of the Northwest territory.

The site of Fort Winnebago was on the Mohr Farm northeast of this site across from the Surgeon's Quarters.

The Agency House cost $3,497.18 to build. Materials and labor came from long distances:

• Masons and carpenters came from St. Louis, Missouri, 718 river miles away.
• Lime was burned at Pierre Pauquette's farm "Bellefontain" twelve miles north of this site.
• Brick was made two miles away at the site of present-day Pauquette Park, Portage.
• Part of the lumber came from Green Bay and the rest was transported 70 to 80 miles down the Ouisconsin (Wisconsin) River from
Historic Indian Agency House Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, May 30, 2011
2. Historic Indian Agency House Marker
The Indian Agency House is in the background.
the north.
• Finished doors probably were brought by ox team from Galena, Illinois.

The National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Wisconsin purchased the Agency House in October, 1931 restored it and opened it to the public in 1932.

The Agency House was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.
 
Location. 43° 33.55′ N, 89° 26.22′ W. Marker is near Portage, Wisconsin, in Columbia County. Marker is on Agency House Road 0.8 miles north of East Albert Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Portage WI 53901, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Indian Agency House (within shouting distance of this marker); Marquette (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort Winnebago (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Fort Winnebago (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort Winnebago Surgeons' Quarters (approx. 0.4 miles away); Revolutionary War Veteran (approx. half a mile away); Ketchum’s Point (approx. 1.2 miles away); Jacques Marquette and Louis Joliet (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Portage.
 
Also see . . .  Historic Indian Agency House web site. (Submitted on June 1, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
The Indian Agency House image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, May 30, 2011
3. The Indian Agency House

 
Categories. Native AmericansSettlements & Settlers
 
Indian Agency House image. Click for full size.
By Robert L Weber, January 13, 2011
4. Indian Agency House
The Indian Agency House Museum image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, May 30, 2011
5. The Indian Agency House Museum
The Indian Agency House is in the background.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 1, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 678 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 1, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.   4. submitted on June 6, 2011, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona.   5. submitted on June 1, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.
Paid Advertisement