Greeleyville in Williamsburg County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
This house, with Classical Revival architectural influences, was built ca. 1906 for Edward J. McCollum (1867-1942), African-American businessman and machinist with the Mallard Lumber Company. In 1922, when twelve-year-old Charles E. Murray’s father William died, McCollum and his wife Margaret (1886-1949) took him in. They considered him their foster son and encouraged him to pursue his education.
Erected 2007 by the Dr. Charles E. Murray Historical Foundation of Greeleyville. (Marker Number 45-17.)
Location. 33° 34.899′ N, 79° 59.528′ W. Marker is in Greeleyville, South Carolina, in Williamsburg County. Marker is on C.E. Murray Blvd., on Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Greeleyville SC 29056, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cantey Family Cemetery (approx. 6.2 miles away); Berkeley County (approx. 6.4 miles away); Burrows's Service Station / Cooper's Country Store (approx. 9.8 miles away); Thomas Walter (approx. 9.9 miles away); Lower Bridge: Take the Low Ground! (approx. 10.1 miles away); Battle Of Lower Bridge (approx. 10.1 miles away); The Elusive Francis Marion: Guerrilla Commander (approx. 10.4 miles away); Maham Plantation (approx. 10.4 miles away).
Also see . . . McCollum-Murray House History. (Submitted on June 2, 2011, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina.)
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 2, 2011, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 471 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 2, 2011, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.