Cane Savannah in Sumter County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Cane Savannah Plantation
Cane Savannah Plantation was established in 1784 by a 4000-acre grant to Lt. Col. Matthew Singleton (1730-1787), state representative and officer who had served under Francis Marion during the American Revolution. The plantation is named for Cane Savannah Creek, a branch of the Black River. Singleton had moved from Va. to S.C. with his wife Mary James Singleton in 1753.
Singleton built a house nearby, where he died in 1787.Cane Savannah then passed to his daughter Nancy and her husband Isham Moore (1750-1803), state representative and judge. Their son John Isham Moore (1792-1852) was a militia officer and state senator. The main house burned about 1920, cotton production soon declined, and Cane Savannah was eventually divided into tracts.
Erected 2010 by The Sumter County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 43-43.)
Location. 33° 54.087′ N, 80° 26.999′ W. Marker is in Cane Savannah, South Carolina, in Sumter County. Marker is on St. Paul's Church Road (State Highway 40) near Wedgefield Road (State Highway 763), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sumter SC 29154, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Mt. Zion Methodist Church (approx. 3.5 miles away); Wedgefield Presbyterian Church (approx. 3.9 miles away); Major General George L. Mabry, Jr. Veterans Memorial Park (approx. 4.5 miles away); Green Swamp Methodist Church (approx. 4.6 miles away); Enon Baptist Church (approx. 4.7 miles away); St. James Lutheran Church (approx. 4.8 miles away); William Tennent (approx. 5.2 miles away); Early Charleston Road (approx. 5.2 miles away).
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 2, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 887 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 2, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.