Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Taylor in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Immanuel Lutheran Church

 
 
Immanuel Lutheran Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, June 28, 2007
1. Immanuel Lutheran Church Marker
Inscription. German immigrants began settling in the new railroad town of Taylor in the 1880s. Lutheran worship services were held as early as 1885, and the Rev. I. J. Glatzle and fourteen families formally organized this congregation in 1888. The Rev. Gus Szillat became the church's first resident pastor when a parsonage was built in 1892. A frame church building completed in 1894 was destroyed in a 1916 fire, but the congregation soon rebuilt. Worship services were conducted in the German language until the 1940s. The church remains a reflection of the town's ethnic heritage.
 
Erected 1994 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9110.)
 
Location. 30° 33.149′ N, 97° 27.179′ W. Marker is in Taylor, Texas, in Williamson County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 411 County Road 401, Taylor TX 76574, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Doak Pavilion Site (approx. 2 miles away); Taylor Brethren Church (approx. 2 miles away); Booth House (approx. 2.1 miles away); Wedemeyer Hospital Site (approx. 2.4 miles away); Doak Home
Immanuel Lutheran Church image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, June 28, 2007
2. Immanuel Lutheran Church
(approx. 2.6 miles away); Tucker-Smith House (approx. 2.6 miles away); St. James Church (approx. 2.7 miles away); Taylor Post Office (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Taylor.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 19, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,450 times since then and 74 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 19, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide area photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement