Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bradenton in Manatee County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Fogarty Boat Works

 
 
The Fogarty Boat Works Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Tibbs, January 20, 2008
1. The Fogarty Boat Works Marker
Inscription. In 1866, three brothers, John, Bartholomew, and Bill Fogarty, settled in Manatee County and established a ship building and coastal trading schooner base on the shore of the Manatee River. In the years before automobiles and railroads, Manatee County and other coastal communities depended on boats as their main form of transportation. The Fogartys developed a thriving business constructing smacks, schooners, sloops and yawls as well as smaller boats. At the age of 19, Bartholomew's son, known as Captain Bat, built his first ship. During his lifetime, Captain Bat constructed hundreds of sailing ships, power vessels, small boats and skiffs. This building housed his last boat works and was closed at his death in 1944. In 1993, Captain Bat's grandson, Charles Fogarty, died, and his sisters-in-law, Margaret Niesiobedzki, and Patricia Blickensderfer, gave the building to the South Florida Museum. Through the combined effort of the museum, the Manatee County Historical Commission, the Florida Maritime Historical Historical Society, and the Fogarty family, the boat works and its contents were preserved, moved to this site, restored by volunteer labor and opened to the public in 1995. Additional equipment and tools from the boat works are on display at the South Florida Museum.
 
Erected 1995.
 
Location.
The Fogarty Boat Works and Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Tibbs, January 20, 2008
2. The Fogarty Boat Works and Marker
27° 29.717′ N, 82° 32.86′ W. Marker is in Bradenton, Florida, in Manatee County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Manatee Avenue East and 14th Street East. Touch for map. This marker is located inside the Manatee Village Historical Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1404 Manatee Avenue East, Bradenton FL 34208, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Wiggins Store (within shouting distance of this marker); The Stephens House (within shouting distance of this marker); William Bassett Chapter (within shouting distance of this marker); Manatee Burying Ground (within shouting distance of this marker); The Florida Cracker Trail (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The 1887 Church (about 300 feet away); The Bunker Hill School (about 400 feet away); Florida's Earliest Courthouse Building (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bradenton.
 
Also see . . .
1. Manatee Village Historical Park. "Step back into time at the Manatee Village Historical Park. Visit this collection of restored buildings from Manatee County’s settlement history and experience life in Manatee County before the arrival of modern conveniences such as automobiles and electricity."
No Admission - Donations Appreciated. (Submitted on June 4, 2011, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia.)
The Fogarty Boat Works image. Click for full size.
By David Tibbs, January 20, 2008
3. The Fogarty Boat Works
 

2. South Florida Museum. (Submitted on June 4, 2011, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia.)
3. Florida Maritime Museum at Cortez. (Submitted on June 4, 2011, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia.)
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels
 
Boat being built. image. Click for full size.
By David Tibbs, January 20, 2008
4. Boat being built.
Saw and belts. image. Click for full size.
By David Tibbs, January 20, 2008
5. Saw and belts.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 4, 2011, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. This page has been viewed 751 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 4, 2011, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement