Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Harvey in Botetourt County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Audley Paulís Fort

 
 
Audley Paulís Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, May 30, 2011
1. Audley Paulís Fort Marker
Inscription. Nearby stood Capt. Audley Paulís fort. built in 1757 during the French and Indian War (1754-1763) as one in a series of fortifications to protect Virginia's frontier. Paul served as a lieutenant in Maj. Gen. Edward Braddockís ill-fated expedition against the French at Fort Duquesne in 1755. He soon joined Col. William Prestonís ranger company as first lieutenant and served in the 1756 expedition against the Shawnee at Sand Creek. In 1761, Paulís fort sheltered settlers fleeing their homesteads in anticipation of Indian attacks. Paul later served in Dunmoreís War and fought in the Battle of Point Pleasant, 10 Oct. 1774.
 
Erected 1999 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number A-48.)
 
Location. 37° 36.475′ N, 79° 36.925′ W. Marker is near Harvey, Virginia, in Botetourt County. Marker is on Lee Highway (Route F055 Frontage Road) south of Plank Road (County Route 610), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Can be seen from I-81 northbound. The frontage road is former U.S. Route 11, which parallels the interstate between exits 168 and 175 (The Natural Bridge exit). Marker is in this post office area: Buchanan VA 24066, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker
Audley Paulís Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, May 30, 2011
2. Audley Paulís Fort Marker
, measured as the crow flies. Rockbridge County / Botetourt County (approx. one mile away); Natural Bridge (approx. 4.2 miles away); George Washington (approx. 4.2 miles away); a different marker also named Natural Bridge (approx. 4.2 miles away); Cartmill's Gap (approx. 4.3 miles away); Buchanan & The James River & Kanawha Canal (approx. 6.4 miles away); Buchanan Bridge (approx. 6.4 miles away); Wilson Warehouse (approx. 6.7 miles away).
 
More about this marker. This marker replaces a previous marker erected in 1934 with the same number and title that read “Near here stood the stockade fort of Captain Audley Paul, noted colonial frontier soldier. He served in the Sandy Creek Expedition against the Shawnees, 1786, at the Battle of Point Pleasant, 1774, and in repelling Indian raids. In 1761, the fort was crowded with settlersí families seeking protection against marauding Shawnees.”
 
Categories. War, French and IndianWars, US Indian
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 4, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 885 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 4, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement