Paterson in Passaic County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
This wheelhouse was built in 1865 to provide power for the Ivanhoe Paper Mill complex. The building housed in 87” Boyden turbine waterwheel capable of providing 200 horsepower.
The above photo from the early 1900’s shows the wheelhouse on the left and the huge iron flume that carried water over the spillway basin to strike the turbine.
Location. 40° 54.852′ N, 74° 10.792′ W. Marker is in Paterson, New Jersey, in Passaic County. Marker is on Spruce Street south of McBride Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Paterson NJ 07501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Great Falls Raceway and Power System (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Ivanhoe Wheelhouse (here, next to this marker); Rogers Works (within shouting distance of this marker); Great Falls of the Passaic/S.U.M. Historic District (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Captain Eric M. Graupe Passaic Falls (about 300 feet away); Overlook Park (about 300 feet away); Great Falls of Paterson on the Passaic (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paterson.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
More. Search the internet for Ivanhoe Wheelhouse.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 5, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 662 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 5, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.