Knoxville in Knox County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Fort Dickerson 1863–64
The forts surrounding Knoxville were named for Federal officers who died during the Knoxville Campaign. Ft. Dickerson was named in honor of Capt. Jonathan C. Dickerson of the 112th Illinois Mounted Infantry, who was killed in action at Cleveland, TN.
Ft. Dickerson, rising 200 feet above Knoxville and the Holston (now Tennessee) River, was flanked on the west by Ft. Higley and on the east by Ft. Stanley. These forts were designed to protect Knoxville from the south and guard the roads from Maryville and Sevierville.
The fort came under direct attack only once during the early stages of Confederate
Ft. Dickerson has survived for over 140 years, but it is now a mere shell of the 1864 fort. The parapet which once sheltered the soldiers with its six foot walls is now barely knee
Location. 35° 56.919′ N, 83° 54.977′ W. Marker is in Knoxville, Tennessee, in Knox County. Marker is on Fort Dickerson Road west of Chapman Hignway SW, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Knoxville TN 37920, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Civil War Knoxville (here, next to this marker); The 1863 Siege of Knoxville (here, next to this marker); Fort Dickerson (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Fort Dickerson (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fort Dickerson (within shouting distance of this marker); Forts Dickerson and Stanley Back Door to Knoxville (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Dickerson (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Knoxville.
More about this marker. On the upper right of the marker is a “Cut-Away—Showing the profile of the earthworks including the interior, the infantry firing step, the parapet, the dry ditch and the counter scarp.” A large “Engineer’s overhead diagram of Fort Dickerson, which was constructed in the winter of 1863–64,” dominates the right side of the marker. Drawings of the “Exterior View of the Cannon Embrasure,” the “Infantry Parapet,” and the “Inside view of Entrance Gate” surround the overhead diagram.
On the lower right are two drawings, the “Ground Plan” and a “Cross Section” of the “Powder Magazine—Built to protect powder and ammunition, the magazine was constructed of logs below ground level with a layer of earth over the roof to protect the powder. The logs eventually decayed and the roof collapsed, leaving the depression in the center of the fort.”
A large color illustration of cannoneers loading a cannon at an embrasure dominates the lower left of the marker, a topological map showing the locations of Forts Stanley, Dickerson and Higley in relation to each other and the Holston (now Tennessee) River is at the top center, and a small photograph of a “Replica 3-inch Ordnance Rifle in Fort Dickerson” round out the illustrations.
Regarding Fort Dickerson 1863–64. This is one of several markers interpreting Fort Dickerson and Civil War activity around Knoxville. See the Fort Dickerson Virtual Tour by Markers linked below.
Also see . . . Fort Dickerson Virtual Tour by Markers. A set markers that document Fort Dickerson and the Civil War in Knoxville, Tennessee. (Submitted on January 3, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 30, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,573 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 30, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.