Trenton in Mercer County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
For the first 170 years or so of its existence, the burial ground served the local Quaker community and includes the graves of several prominent Quakers in the Trenton area, among them the two founding settlers, Mahlon Stacy and Thomas Lambert. In 1857, Jacob Taylor acquired a half interest in a 26-acre lot bordering the burial ground, an event that soon set in motion the creation of Riverview Cemetery. In the following year, Taylor developed a plan to open a large modern graveyard around the Quaker burying plot and, with a group of investors, founded the Riverview Cemetery Company.
The first burial plot in the new cemetery was sold on February 23, 1859 to captain William E. Hunt, a well-known Lamberton sea-farer. A Taylor family burial enclosure was established and exists today as a small mausoleum. An imposing masonry receiving vault
Riverview Cemetery was twice enlarged later in the 19th century with most of the expansion occurring to the north, since the canal, river and bluff edge prevented its spreading in other directions. In the 1880s, the core of the former Pine Grove estate, once owned by Joseph Bonaparte, was annexed. Another expansion of the cemetery was accomplished in 1887-88 aided by the professional landscape design firm of Vaux & Co. This company was headed by Calvert Vaux, the landscape architect who collaborated with Frederick Law Olmsted on the design of Central Park in New York City and several other commissions.
Throughout the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Riverview Cemetery grew into one of Trentonís most populous and popular cemeteries. Here may be found the graves of many of those most prominent in Trentonís rise as a powerhouse of the Industrial Revolution: Bowmans, Dickinsons, Dunhams, Ewings, Hildebrechts, Kusers, Maddocks, Motts, Roeblings, Ruslings, Switliks and Taylors are but a few of the families represented.
The ravages of the Civil War are reflected in the close to 1,000 graves of veterans of the Union forces.
Who Lies There?
Riverview Cemetery sprawls over an area of almost 50 acres and is estimated to contain perhaps as many as 70,000 graves. The cemetery is still in active use and is respectfully maintained by the Riverview Cemetery Corporation, whose office is located on Centre Street. A genealogical sample of the cemeteryís extraordinary history and mortuary aesthetic is offered below ÖÖ but, better still, walk over and experience the place in person.
Erected 2004 by New Jersey Department of Transportation.
Location. 40° 11.724′ N, 74° 45.426′ W. Marker is in Trenton, New Jersey, in Mercer County. Marker can be reached from U.S. 29. Touch for map. This marker is in South River Walk park which is built
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Natural Magnet for Native Americans (within shouting distance of this marker); Shipping on the Delaware (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ferries across the Delaware (about 600 feet away); South Riverwalk Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ice, Brewing and Bottles (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pre-17th Century Trenton Timeline (approx. 0.2 miles away); Europeans at the Falls of the Delaware (approx. 0.2 miles away); Quakers Lead the Settlement of West Jersey (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Trenton.
More about this marker. The marker is at the southern edge of the southern half of the park. It faces its subject, Riverview Cemetery.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Notable Persons • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 21, 2007, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 2,536 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15. submitted on December 21, 2007, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.