Brunswick in Frederick County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected by Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historic Park, NPS.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal marker series.
Location. 39° 18.676′ N, 77° 37.791′ W. Marker is in Brunswick, Maryland, in Frederick County. Marker is on South Maple Avenue, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Located along the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal towpath, beside Lock 30. Marker is in this post office area: Brunswick MD 21716, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Water Power (within shouting distance of this marker); Brunswick (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Brunswick Train No. 286 Bell Memorial (about 700 feet away); Veterans Memorial (about 700 feet away); One Time Rivals (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad (approx. 0.2 miles away); Brunswick River Mural (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brunswick.
More about this marker. The background of the marker shows the canal, railroad, and bridge over the Potomac, with the caption "The canal and railroad coexisted until 1889, when the railroad gained control of the canal." A map inset shows "In 1873 Berlin was a small town beside the Potomac River." A photograph on the upper right is captioned, "The canal provided townspeople an interesting place to visit when leisure time was available."
Also see . . . Chesapeake and Ohio Canal. National Park Service site. (Submitted on December 21, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 21, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,266 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 21, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.