Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rockaway Township in Morris County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Ford – Faesch Manor House - 1768

 
 
Ford – Faesch Manor House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, June 12, 2011
1. Ford – Faesch Manor House Marker
Inscription.
Manor house built by Jacob Ford, Jr.
subsequently home of John Jacob
Faesch who directed the iron mining
operations which provided the
Continental Army with ammunition
and ordinance.
Morris County Heritage Commission
New Jersey Register of Historic Places
National Register of Historic Places

 
Erected 1976 by Morris County Heritage Commission.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the New Jersey, Morris County Heritage Commission marker series.
 
Location. 40° 55.691′ N, 74° 32.556′ W. Marker is in Rockaway Township, New Jersey, in Morris County. Marker is on Mt. Hope Road when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 629 Mt. Hope Road, Rockaway NJ 07866, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Walton Burial Ground (approx. 0.7 miles away); Administration and Research Historic District (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Cannon Gate (approx. 1.4 miles away); Middle Forge (approx. 1.4 miles away); a different marker also named Administration and Research Historic District
Ford – Faesch Manor House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, June 12, 2011
2. Ford – Faesch Manor House Marker
(approx. 1.5 miles away); Naval Commander's Home (approx. 1.5 miles away); 600 Ordnance Testing Area Historic District (1928-1948) (approx. 1.9 miles away); 1500 Former Army Rocket Test Area Historic District (1946-1989) (approx. 2 miles away).
 
Additional comments.
1. A Brief History of the Ford-Faesch House
“The Ford-Faesch Manor House in Mount Hope, Rockaway Township, NJ was built circa 1772 by Colonel Jacob Ford, Jr. as an ironmaster’s mansion. The three-story house was designed to be spacious and elegant befitting the era of ironmasters who shaped the political, economic and social development of the region.

Situated on a promontory overlooking the valley, the mansion was constructed in the Georgian style with native stone walls two to three feet thick and symmetrical wings on the east and west sides. The rooms were high-ceilinged for the times with nine English-style fireplaces. The original cost of construction was placed at £1400.

In 1772, Ford leased the Mount Hope property including the iron works to John Jacob Faesch, a Swiss native who had gained prominence as ironmaster under Peter Hasenclever at the Ringwood Mine. As ironmaster at Mount Hope, Faesch produced
Marker on Mt. Hope Road image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, June 12, 2011
3. Marker on Mt. Hope Road
supplies and munitions for the Continental army and later purchased the iron works and surrounding land from Ford.

He was recognized as a patriot who served as a civic leader, country judge, trustee of the Morristown Academy and as a delegate to the Provincial Congress that ratified New Jersey statehood.

During the Revolutionary War, General George Washington is said to have frequented Rockaway and the Faesch Manor House. It was during one visit that Washington gave Faesch permission to employ 35 Hessian prisoners captured at Trenton to work at Mt. Hope. They were to include “wood choppers, two carpenters, one wheelwright, two blacksmiths, two masons, a barber and one beerbrewer.” So important were the Mount Hope iron works that 50 men were exempt from active military service as long as they worked at Mount Hope.

Faesch lived in the house until the late 1780s when he moved to Morristown. He later relocated to Boonton where he died in 1799.

Subsequent occupants of the house were various owners of the Mount Hope Mine and mine superintendents. In the late 1800s, renovations were made that included the addition of a Victorian front porch, fancy eave ornaments, a stucco façade and a bay window. It was at this time that the west wing which housed Faesch’s office was removed. In 1931, the building was converted into a two-family house which was
Ford – Faesch Manor House image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, June 12, 2011
4. Ford – Faesch Manor House
occupied until 1973 when the last tenant moved out.”
Source: Historical Society of the Rockaways
    — Submitted June 12, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.

 
Categories. War, US Revolutionary
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 12, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,511 times since then and 73 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 12, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement