Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
73rd Illinois Infantry
1st Brigade - 2rd Division
—4th Corps. —
Nov. 25, 1863, 5 P.M.
Erected 1898 by State of Illinois. (Marker Number MT-168.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, Bragg Reservation marker series.
Location. 35° 1.149′ N, 85° 15.814′ W. Marker is in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker is on South Crest Road north of South Crest Place, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. According to the location provided by the National Park Service, “Marker located at Bragg Reservation/1934 Map 136-31 on Missionary Ridge.". Marker is in this post office area: Chattanooga TN 37404, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Missouri U.S.A. Troops Monument (a few steps from this marker); 44th Illinois Infantry (a few steps from this marker); 36th Illinois Infantry (a few steps from this marker); Sheridan's Division (within shouting distance of this marker); 42nd Illinois Infantry 27th Illinois Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); Harker's Brigade (within shouting distance of this marker); Missionary Ridge School (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
More about this marker. According to the description provided by the National Park Service, the monument is, “2'6" x 1'2" x 2'6" high rectangular slab of dark Quincy granite. Rock-faced sides; polished & inscribed front. 'Illinois' is in large raised letters on beveled top. Marks unit's position at 5:00 p.m. on November 25, 1863.”
Also see . . . National Park Service List of Classified Structures. This is a link to information provided by the National Park Service regarding this particular monument. (Submitted on August 25, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 25, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 12, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 361 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 12, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.