Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Superior in Douglas County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The University of Wisconsin-Superior

 
 
The University of Wisconsin-Superior Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, June 12, 2011
1. The University of Wisconsin-Superior Marker
Inscription. Authorized by the legislature in 1893, the University of Wisconsin-Superior opened its doors in 1896 as the state's seventh Normal School to train teachers, drawing most of its students from ten northern Wisconsin counties. The original building, Old Main, burned in 1914 and was rebuilt in 1916. Educational offerings progressed from a one-year teacher training program, to a two-year program, to a four-year program for a bachelor's degree in education in 1926-27, to a four-year liberal arts degree program in 1946-47. A graduate program in school administration was added in 1950, and Master of Arts and Master of Science degree programs were established in 1968. By 1993, after four changes in name, the University of Wisconsin-Superior had grown to 18 buildings and outdoor athletic facilities on 230 acres. The University is known especially for its programs in the arts, business, education, humanities and sciences, and is a major cultural and intellectual resource for northern Wisconsin.
Erected 1993

 
Erected 1993 by the Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 320.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 46° 43.047′ 
The University of Wisconsin-Superior Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, June 12, 2011
2. The University of Wisconsin-Superior Marker
N, 92° 5.265′ W. Marker is in Superior, Wisconsin, in Douglas County. Marker is on Catlin Avenue 0.1 miles south of Belknap Street (U.S. 2), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is southeast of McCaskill Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1705 Catlin Avenue, Superior WI 54880, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Summer White House - 1928 (approx. 0.8 miles away); S.S. Meteor (approx. 1.2 miles away); Old Stockade Site (approx. 1.7 miles away); Burlington Northern Ore Docks (approx. 3.2 miles away); The Superior Entry (approx. 3.6 miles away); Burial Ground of the Fond du Lac Band (approx. 3.9 miles away); Rice's Point (approx. 4.3 miles away in Minnesota); Illumination History of the Aerial Lift Bridge (approx. 4.3 miles away in Minnesota). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Superior.
 
Also see . . .
1. University of Wisconsin-Superior. (Submitted on June 13, 2011.)
2. University of Wisconsin-Superior. Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on June 13, 2011.) 
 
Categories. Education
 
Plaque by Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, June 12, 2011
3. Plaque by Marker
Nelson Outdoor Laboratory
Tablet by Flag Pole image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, June 12, 2011
4. Tablet by Flag Pole
Memorial in Honor of Prof. A.D. Whealdon
May 1868 - Nov. 1964
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 13, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 545 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 13, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.
Paid Advertisement