Valparaiso in Porter County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Lincoln Highway
[ Map of The Lincoln Highway across the United States is at top of marker with the following text under it: ]
The Lincoln Highway was the first “Coast to Coast” road covering 3,389 miles across the USA. It was the dream of Hoosier Carl G. Fisher.
In 1913. The Lincoln Highway Association (LHA) announced that Valparaiso would be part of that route.
In 1928. Boy Scouts placed concrete markers from New York to San Francisco as the Final Project of the LHA. Few markers survive.
In 2006. This marker was gifted to the city and placed here on Lincolnway as a reminder that Valparaiso has long been connected to interstate transportation.
The Lincoln Highway
Marker series. This marker is included in the Lincoln Highway marker series.
Location. 41° 28.076′ N, 87° 3.78′ W. Marker is in Valparaiso, Indiana, in Porter County. Marker is on Lincolnway west of Lafayette Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located at the South/East corner of the Valparaiso City Building in Valparaiso, Indiana. Marker is at or near this postal address: 166 Lincolnway, Valparaiso IN 46383, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are Old Sac Trail (here, next to this marker); Porter County (Indiana) Veterans (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Tassinong (approx. 8.4 miles away); President Abraham Lincolnís Funeral Train (approx. 8.8 miles away); The Lincoln Train in Westville (approx. 9.8 miles away); Site of Huakiki (approx. 10 miles away); Willow Creek Confrontation (approx. 10.4 miles away); Hobart (Indiana) Patriotic Honor Rolls (approx. 10.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Valparaiso.
Also see . . . "The Lincoln Highway Association" ::. This is the 'official' web-site of LHA, with many fine links, items, and photos. (Submitted on June 14, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 14, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 522 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on June 14, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.