Stone Dam at Allen Station
In 1912, the railroads needed more water, and a larger dam was constructed just to the south on Cottonwood Creek, submerging this dam. In the 1960’s, the 1912 dam was breached, majestically revealing the original 1874 dam.
This railroad water reservoir dam is thought to be the only one left in the United States. The citizens of Allen are proud of the role Allen Station played in the development of North Texas.
Erected 2002 by Allen Heritage Guild.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Allen Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); Texas Electric Railway Station (approx. 7.1 miles away); Frankford (approx. 12.8 miles away); First Baptist Church, Hebron (approx. 12.8 miles away); Addison State Bank (approx. 14½ miles away); Mount Calvary Cemetery (approx. 14.7 miles away); Hamilton Park Community (approx. 14.9 miles away).
Categories. • Landmarks • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 14, 2011, by Mark Reynolds of Allen, Texas. This page has been viewed 2,687 times since then and 82 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 14, 2011, by Mark Reynolds of Allen, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?