Tallmadge in Summit County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Old Town Hall and Academy
The Village of Tallmadge was founded in 1807. The first Academy building was erected in 1815. The fifth home of the Academy was located on the second floor of this Town Hall, which was erected in 1859. The Academy served students from northeast Ohio, who desired advanced courses not offered by local school systems, until 1876.
Erected 1982 by The City of Tallmadge, Tallmadge Historical Society, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 9-77.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 6.063′ N, 81° 26.487′ W. Marker is in Tallmadge, Ohio, in Summit County. Marker is on Darrow Road (Ohio Route 91/261) near South Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker and Hall are on the south side of the Tallmadge Circle (former town square). Marker is in this post office area: Tallmadge OH 44278, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tallmadge Circle (Public Square) (within shouting distance of this marker); Tallmadge Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); First Congregational Church Middlebury Cemetery (approx. 2.7 miles away); Middlebury Lodge No. 34 F.&A.M. (approx. 3.2 miles away); Franklin Augustus "F. A." Seiberling and The Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company (approx. 3.2 miles away); Silver Lake / Silver Lake Amusement Park (approx. 3.7 miles away); Wesley Temple African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tallmadge.
Also see . . .
1. City of Tallmadge Circle Park. (Submitted on June 14, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Old Town Hall Related Material. (Submitted on June 14, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 14, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 266 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 14, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.