New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Andrew Gauthier built St. Paulís Chapel in 1766 – a perfect example of Georgian Classic-Revival style architecture. Surrounded by farmland and orchard, this remote “country church” accommodated parishioners living on the outskirts of town. With the addition of the steeple in 1794, many considered St. Paulís the most elegant and imposing church edifice in the city.
Location. 40° 42.691′ N, 74° 0.583′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker can be reached from Vesey Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located in the churchyard behind St. Paulís Chapel. Marker is in this post office area: New York NY 10007, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Churchyard (a few steps from this marker); Bell of Hope (a few steps from this marker); St. Paulís and the World Trade Center (a few steps from this marker); The Fence (a few steps from this marker); 100 Year-Old Sycamore (within shouting distance of this marker); George Frederick Cooke (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic St. Paulís Chapel New York County Lawyers Association (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New York.
More about this marker. The right side of the marker contains a photo of St. Paulís Chapel.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 14, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 382 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 14, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.