Prairie du Chien in Crawford County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Pere Marquette and Sieur Jolliet
Indians directed them to the Great River via the Fox-Wisconsin waterway from the present site of Green Bay to Prairie du Chien. The Frenchmen entered the Mississippi River June 17, 1673.
Descending the river until July 16, the explorers turned back at the Arkansas River because they anticipated possible danger ahead from the Spanish and Indians. Returning North, the expedition pioneered what is now the Illinois - Des Plaines - Chicago River passage to Lake Michigan.
Marquette and Jolliet were back at the mouth of the Fox River by the end of September. The trip had taken them over 2,000 miles through country never before seen by white men.
Erected 1973 by the Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 188.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
Location. 43° 2.969′ N, 91° 9.014′ W. Marker is in Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin, in Crawford County Touch for map. Marker is at the tourist information center near the Mississippi River Marquette-Jolliet Bridge. Marker is at or near this postal address: 211 South Main, Prairie du Chien WI 53821, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Prairie du Chien (here, next to this marker); Jefferson Davis (approx. ¼ mile away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of the Second Fort Crawford (approx. half a mile away); Black Hawk's Surrender (approx. half a mile away); William Beaumont, M. D. (approx. half a mile away); Villa Louis (approx. 0.6 miles away); War of 1812 (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Prairie du Chien.
Also see . . .
1. Discoverers Web. Jolliet and Marquette (Submitted on June 19, 2011.)
2. Great River Road. Wikipedia entry. Photos of The Pilot's Wheel route markers. (Submitted on June 19, 2011.)
Categories. • Exploration • Native Americans • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 19, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 621 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 19, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.