Eau Claire in Eau Claire County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
They came by stage and steamboat, laboring in Eau Claire's sawmills until they could buy land to farm or go into business themselves. Settling near fellow countrymen, immigrants sent back passage money so that relatives and friends could join them. By 1885, Brittons, Fitzpatricks, Olsons, and Dusendofers shared a city of more than 20,000. Norwegians worshiped at First Lutheran. Irish Catholics attended St. Patrick's. Eau Claire was transformed from a sleepy river stopping place to a community of many languages and cultures. In 1890, seven out of every ten residents of the Chippewa Valley had either been born outside the United States or had foreign-born parents.
Erected 1993 by the Eau Claire Landmarks Commission.
Location. Touch for map. The marker is along the riverfront path in Owen Park. Marker is in this post office area: Eau Claire WI 54701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Donald I. "Sarge" Boyd (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Emma and Benjamin Stephanson House (about 700 feet away); Temple of Free Masonry (about 800 feet away); Fournier's Dancing Academy and Ballroom (approx. 0.2 miles away); John S. Owen House (approx. 0.2 miles away); J. D. R. Steven House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Roy Wilcox House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Owen's Gift to the City (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eau Claire.
Categories. • Horticulture & Forestry • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 19, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 303 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 19, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 3. submitted on June 29, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.