Waterville in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The stone structure which stood at this site was built as a general store in 1876. It was moved to Old World Wisconsin and restored in 1992.
The house across the road to the north, built in 1845, once had a blacksmith shop.
The 1849 Waterville House stood diagonally across the road and was a stopping place between Milwaukee and Madison on the old Jefferson Plank Road. It had a ballroom on the second floor in the rear, built over the wagon shelter.
A small store, built in 1843, stood across the road from this marker to the west and housed the first post office. Still standing as part of the house on the knoll to the southwest is the store owner’s home, built in 1843 or earlier.
Within a half mile radius of this busy center some eighteen homes were included in this settlement by 1850.
It is today an active community of pleasant, friendly homes, bearing still the old and cherished name of Waterville.
Erected 1958 by Waukesha County Historical Society. (Marker Number 33-01.)
Location. 43° 1.211′ N, 88° 26.311′ Touch for map. Located on the southeast corner of U.S. Hwy 18 and Waterville Road. Marker is in this post office area: Oconomowoc WI 53066, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Masonic Home (approx. 1.4 miles away); Dousman (approx. 1.8 miles away); Lapham Peak (approx. 2˝ miles away); a different marker also named Lapham Peak (approx. 2˝ miles away); Cushing Memorial Park (approx. 3.1 miles away); Hawks Inn (approx. 3.2 miles away); Delafield Fish Hatchery (approx. 3.2 miles away); St. John's Military Academy (approx. 3˝ miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 30, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,007 times since then. Last updated on June 20, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 30, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.