Sussex in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Here in yesteryears were a saw-mill, brewery, grain elevator, lumber yard, and stores; and later a creamery, cheese factory, lime-kiln, and three railroads.
For some 50 years it was Wisconsinís chief center of hop-growing, introduced here in 1837 by John and James Weaver.
In 1854 was here opened the first cooperative store in Wisconsin.
In 1888 James Templeton founded the hamlet of Templeton on the Soo Railroad.
In 1920 Mammoth Spring Canning Co. began operations as a vegetable packer, becoming the largest beet packer in the country. Its famous Kewpie label was the symbol of nation-wide popularity.
Since 1930 it has been the center of production of the widely used Lannon building stone, now in nearby quarries opened in 1841.
Sussex combined with Templeton to the east to become a village in 1924.
Erected 1969 by Waukesha County Historical Society. (Marker Number 30-02.)
Location. 43° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: N63 W236 Main Street, Sussex WI 53089, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Woman in Town of Lisbon (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. Albanís Episcopal Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mammoth Spring Hotel - Saloon (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sussex Mills and Bug Line RR (approx. 0.4 miles away); Zion Evangelical Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Lisbon Plank School (approx. 1Ĺ miles away); Halquist Quarry (approx. 1Ĺ miles away); Hon. Thomas Weaver Home (approx. 1Ĺ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sussex.
Categories. • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 2, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 891 times since then. Last updated on June 20, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 2, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.