Dubuque in Dubuque County, Iowa — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Historic Dubuque -- the Key City of Iowa -- formed a part of what became French Louisiana when Joliet and Marquette paddled by in 1673. Perrot taught the Miami Indians how to mine lead here in 1690. France ceded Louisiana west of the Mississippi to Spain in 1762, placing this area under Spain. Frenchmen mined lead here during the American Revolution.
The Fox Indians granted Julien Dubuque the right to work the lead mines in 1788 and this right was confirmed by a Spanish Land Grant in 1796. Dubuque, the first permanent settler in Iowa, died in 1810. His tomb is on a bluff overlooking the Mississippi below Dubuque.
Sturdy lead miners drew up the Minerís Compact (the first code of laws in Iowa) on this site in 1830. Permanent white settlement began here in 1833 following the withdrawal of the Fox Indians. The first survey of the city limits was made that fall.
Dubuque is a city of many firsts -- the first church and the first murder and public hanging (1834), the first newspaper and the first bank (1836). The town was incorporated in 1836. Dubuque, city and county, had 31,164 inhabitants in 1860.
Erected 1967 by State Historical Society of Iowa and the Iowa State Highway Commission.
Marker series. This marker is Iowa, State Historical Society of marker series.
Location. 42° 28.127′ N, 90° 38.887′ W. Marker is in Dubuque, Iowa, in Dubuque County. Marker can be reached from Monument Drive 0.2 miles east of Mines of Spain Road. Touch for map. Located in the parking lot of the Mines of Spain Recreation Area. Marker is in this post office area: Dubuque IA 52003, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Julien Dubuque (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); East Dubuque Veterans' Memorial (approx. 1.7 miles away in Illinois); Eleazor and Diadamia Frentress (approx. 1.7 miles away in Illinois); Shot Tower (approx. 2.1 miles away); Dubuque Shot Tower (approx. 2.2 miles away); "Fourth Street Elevator" (approx. 2.2 miles away); Methodist Chapel (approx. 2.3 miles away); Louis Arriandeaux Log House (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dubuque.
Also see . . . Mines of Spain. (Submitted on June 21, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 21, 2011, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona. This page has been viewed 681 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 21, 2011, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona. 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 23, 2011, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. More precise GPS coordinates. • Can you help?