Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cooperstown in Otsego County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Doubleday Field

“Birthplace of Baseball”

 
 
Doubleday Field Marker image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, June 10, 2011
1. Doubleday Field Marker
Inscription.
Doubleday Field
"Birthplace of Baseball"
Reconstructed by
Works Progress
Administration

and
Village of Cooperstown
1938 - 1939

 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
 
Location. 42° 41.977′ N, 74° 55.577′ W. Marker is in Cooperstown, New York, in Otsego County. Marker can be reached from Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is on the right of the grandstand at the end of Doubleday Court. Marker is in this post office area: Cooperstown NY 13326, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Oldest Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of the First National Baseball Hall of Fame Induction (approx. 0.2 miles away); George Croghan (approx. 0.2 miles away); Council Rock (approx. 0.3 miles away); Clinton's Dam (approx. 0.3 miles away); General Clinton's Dam (approx. 0.4 miles away); Indian Grave (approx. 0.4 miles away); Blacksmith Shop (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cooperstown.
 
Regarding Doubleday Field. The grounds have been used for baseball since 1920, on what was Elihu Phinney's farm.
Doubleday Field Marker image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, June 10, 2011
2. Doubleday Field Marker
A wooden grandstand was built in 1924, later replaced by a steel and concrete grandstand built in 1939 by the Works Project Administration. Subsequent expansion has increased seating capacity to 9,791 spectators.
Each year from 1940 to 2008, Doubleday Field hosted the Hall of Fame Game. Originally a contest between "old-timers" teams, it later became an exhibition game between two major league squads. Traditionally, the game was held during the annual induction weekend of the nearby Baseball Hall of Fame, but in later years it was scheduled in May or June, to accommodate the participating teams' travel schedules.


Named after Abner Doubleday (1819-1893), a Union Army General and allegedly the originator of baseball, Doubleday Field is as real as baseball stadiums get.
Doubleday Field, with its covered grandstand behind home plate and bleachers that nearly surround the field, is a baseball landmark. Constructed in the 1920s and 1930s partly with donations from baseball fans and largely with the funding and labor of the Works Progress Administration, Doubleday Field is a Depression-era gem. Today, Doubleday Field is owned entirely by the citizens of the Village of Cooperstown, and the field carries on in the tradition of America's favorite pastime at the "Birthplace of Baseball".
 
Also see . . .
1. Friends of Doubleday
Doubleday Field image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, June 10, 2011
3. Doubleday Field
. (Submitted on June 23, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
2. Ball Parks of the Minor Leagues - Doubleday Field. A photographic tour of Doubleday Field (1939), Cooperstown, New York, the former home of the Hall of Fame game (Submitted on June 25, 2011, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Sports
 
Doubleday Field Marker image. Click for full size.
By Scott J. Payne, September 24, 2016
4. Doubleday Field Marker
Doubleday Field Construction - 1939 image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, June 10, 2011
5. Doubleday Field Construction - 1939
This photo showing construction of Doubleday Field is on display in the grandstand entrance to the field.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 26, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 23, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 671 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 23, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.   4. submitted on September 25, 2016, by Scott J. Payne of Deposit, New York.   5. submitted on June 23, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement