Marion in Smyth County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 1941 by Virginia Conservation Commission. (Marker Number K 34.)
Location. 36° 49.966′ N, 81° 31.212′ W. Marker is in Marion, Virginia, in Smyth County. Marker is on West Main Street (State Highway 16) west of Church Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of the Smyth County courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Marion VA 24354, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Smyth County Revolutionary War Memorial (here, next to this marker); Smyth County War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Confederate Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Col. William Elisha Peters (approx. 0.4 miles away); Col. Arthur Campbell Site of Colonial Home (approx. 1.3 miles away); Sherwood Anderson (approx. 1.8 miles away); Battle of Marion (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marion.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. Our History. “A local businessman, William H. ‘Bill’ Jones of Marion, during the period 1959 to 1962, created what is now the nationally successful soft drink ‘Mountain Dew’ at Marion’s Tip Bottling Company, now site of Hungate Business Services at 517 North Main Street. Jones experimented with flavors, routinely offering Marion residents samples of what he bubbled together. He eventually sold the soft drink ‘Mountain Dew’ to Pepsico in 1964. Marion now boast itself as the ‘Home of Mountain Dew’ on signs and brochures.” (Submitted on July 24, 2011.)
2. “Marion, Southwest Virginia” Video.
Categories. • Politics • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 23, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 401 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 23, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.