Helen in White County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Valley of the Evening Star
The valley is watered by Sautee and Duke`s Creeks and the Chattahoochee River. These streams formed the rich alluvial soils, laced the soils with placer gold, and powered small industries. Longtime residents of the valley have been the Dyers, Glens, Hardmans, Lumsdens, Nichols, Richardson and Williams.
Erected 1980 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 154-10.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 40.913′ N, 83° 41.994′ W. Marker is in Helen, Georgia, in White County. Marker is on Unicot Turnpike (Georgia Route 17) 0.6 miles east of Georgia Route 75, on the left. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 731 Unicoi Turnpike, Helen GA 30545, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Early Trading Post (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct Nacoochee Indian Mound (approx. half a mile away); Bishop Marvin A. Franklin (approx. 0.7 miles away); White Methodist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Unicoi Turnpike (approx. 0.7 miles away); Discovery of Gold (approx. 1.1 miles away); Stovall Mill Covered Bridge (approx. 3.2 miles away); Cleveland (approx. 6.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Helen.
Regarding Nacoochee Valley. This marker replaced an earlier marker, "Starlight", GHM 154-7, at the 1824 home built by Major Edward Williams in 1824. The home, called Starlight, had burned in 1959.
Categories. • Native Americans • Natural Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 5, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,997 times since then and 44 times this year. Last updated on June 23, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1. submitted on August 5, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 23, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.