San Felipe in Austin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
A Town Hall
A Town Hall
Built about 1830
in which were held
the First and Second Conventions
of Texas, 1832 and 1833,
and the Consultation of 1835
the provisional government functioned
here until March 2, 1836, when the
Republic was formed at
the building was burned with the town,
March 29, 1836, to prevent its falling
into the hands of the advancing
Erected by the State of Texas
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 5514.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 29° 48.429′ N, 96° 5.922′ W. Marker is in San Felipe, Texas, in Austin County. Marker can be reached from Farm to Market 1458 0.2 miles from 2nd Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Felipe TX 77473, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Stephen F. Austin's Cabin (a few steps from this marker); J.J. Josey General Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Stephen Fuller Austin (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Early Roads To San Felipe (about 300 feet away); John Bricker (about 300 feet away); San Felipe United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); San Felipe de Austin Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); San Felipe de Austin (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Felipe.
Also see . . .
1. San Felipe de Austin State Historic Site. (Submitted on June 26, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
2. The Colonial Capital of Texas. Friends of the San Felipe de Austin State Historic Site (Submitted on June 26, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Politics • Settlements & Settlers • War, Texas Independence •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 26, 2011, by Steve Henderson of Marble Falls, Texas. This page has been viewed 672 times since then and 47 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on June 24, 2011, by Steve Henderson of Marble Falls, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide area shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?