Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Duluth in St. Louis County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Clifton–French River

 
 
Clifton–French River Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, June 12, 2011
1. Clifton–French River Marker
Inscription. Clifton, first townsite surveyed in the United States section of the North Shore, was platted west of the mouth of the French River in 1855. The river was known to early explorers as Riviere des Francais. Rumors of nearby copper deposits resulted in widespread prospecting and townsite planning in the 1850s. Like many of the projected towns, Clifton never developed. From 1864 to 1866, the French River Mining Company and the North Shore Mining Company dug several exploratory shafts, but failed to locate profitable copper deposits. Extensive lumbering operations were carried on here in the 1880s.

Erected by the St. Louis County Historical Society in cooperation with the Minnesota Highway Department 1959
[Seals of the State of Minnesota Department of Highways and The Minnesota Historical Society]

 
Erected 1959 by the Minnesota Department of Highways and Minnesota Historical Society. (Marker Number SL-DUT-002.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Minnesota Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 46° 54.051′ N, 91° 53.955′ W. Marker is near Duluth, Minnesota, in St. Louis County. Marker is at the intersection of State
Clifton–French River Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, June 12, 2011
2. Clifton–French River Marker
Highway 61 and Ryan Road (County Highway 50), on the right when traveling north on State Highway 61. Touch for map. Marker is at a small roadside parking area. Marker is in this post office area: Duluth MN 55804, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Buchanan (approx. 5 miles away); The Arthur V. Rohweder Memorial Highway (approx. 6 miles away); The Skyline Parkway (approx. 6.7 miles away); Glensheen, A Family Legacy (approx. 9.2 miles away); Boat House and Pier (approx. 9.3 miles away); Minnesota's Oldest Concrete Pavement (approx. 10.2 miles away); The History of the Duluth Rose Garden (approx. 11.1 miles away); Leif Erikson (approx. 11.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Duluth.
 
More about this marker. The French River was originally called Angwassago zibi, an Ojibwe word meaning "Floodwood River." It was known to early French explorers as "Riviere des Francais" or French River.

The marker was erected under a cooperative program of the Minnesota Department of Highways and the Youth Conservation Commission. The labor consisted primarily of youth on parole or probation from the Red Wing Correctional Facility.
 
Also see . . .  Minnesota Department of Transportation. Historic Roadside Development
Clifton–French River Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, June 12, 2011
3. Clifton–French River Marker
Structures Inventory. (Submitted on June 26, 2011.) 
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels
 
Clifton–French River Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, June 12, 2011
4. Clifton–French River Marker
Looking towards State Highway 61.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 26, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 814 times since then and 161 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 26, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.
Paid Advertisement