Sheldon in Franklin County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Colonel Elisha Sheldon
In 1776, at the request of General Washington, Elisha Sheldon was commissioned by Congress to raise a regiment of cavalry. Named the 2nd Continental Light Dragoons, the unit served with distinction throughout the Revolutionary War. In 1791, Colonel Sheldon, his sons Major Samuel, Elisha, Jr., and George, and their families came, with other families, from Connecticut as first settlers of this town. The town was originally chartered as Hungerford but the name was changed to Sheldon in 1792. The first meeting to organize the town was held in Georgia, Vermont. The large hipped roof house Colonel Sheldon built in 1795 stands on a nearby hill.
Erected 1996 by The people of Sheldon.
Location. 44° 53.019′ N, 72° 56.83′ W. Marker is in Sheldon, Vermont, in Franklin County. Marker is on Main Street 0.2 miles north of Bridge Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sheldon VT 05483, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sheldon, Vermont (approx. ¼ mile away); Fenian Raids (approx. 1.3 miles away); Chester A. Arthur (approx. 5.4 miles Chester A. Arthur (approx. 5.7 miles away); Consuelo Northrop Bailey (approx. 5.8 miles away); Birthplace of Larry Gardner (approx. 7.2 miles away); Camp Holbrook (approx. 7.5 miles away); St. Albans Raid (approx. 8.3 miles away).
Additional keywords. Sheldon Springs; Sheldon Junction
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 26, 2011, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 1,100 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 26, 2011, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.