Holly Hill in Orangeburg County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Target Methodist Church
This church, founded about 1800, is one of the oldest Methodist congregations in this part of the state. It takes its name from Target Branch, a nearby tributary of Four Holes Swamp. The name “Target” is thought to be a corruption of the “tar gates” along the edges of the swamp, where tar, turpentine, and timber were harvested. It held its first services in a brush arbor, with a sycamore stump for a pulpit.
Target Methodist Church was one of several area congregations long served by circuit riders, on the Cypress Circuit 1810-1855, then on the Providence Circuit 1855-1916. Its first permanent church, a log building, was rebuilt as a frame sanctuary in 1830. A second frame church built in 1873 was replaced by the present sanctuary in 1920. The cemetery here includes graves dating as early as 1820.
Erected 2010 by Erected by the Congregation. (Marker Number 38-33.)
Location. 33° 20.239′ N, 80° 27.017′ W. Marker is in Holly Hill, South Carolina, in Orangeburg County. Marker is on Branch Ford Road (State Highway 314) near Target Road (State Highway 38-68), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Holly Hill SC 29059, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Holly Hill (approx. 2.4 miles away); a different marker also named Holly Hill (approx. 2.4 miles away); Astrounaut Frank L. Culbertson (approx. 5.8 miles away); Providence Methodist Church (approx. 6½ miles away); Berkeley County (approx. 7.1 miles away); Eutawville (approx. 7.6 miles away); Harleyville (approx. 8½ miles away); Moorefield Memorial Highway (approx. 8.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Holly Hill.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 26, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 419 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 27, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.