Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
West Columbia in Lexington County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Cherokee Path

 
 
The Cherokee Path Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2011
1. The Cherokee Path Marker
Inscription. Before the Revolution, two major trading routes came together near here. Branching to the west was the road to New Windsor Township on the Savannah. The Cherokee Path extended north to Ninety Six and south through Saxe Gotha Township on the Congaree. George Washington passed here in 1791 on his way from Augusta to Columbia via Friday's Ferry.
 
Erected 1970 by Erected by Lexington County Historical Society. (Marker Number 32-7.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the George Washington Slept Here marker series.
 
Location. 33° 59.061′ N, 81° 5.538′ W. Marker is in West Columbia, South Carolina, in Lexington County. Marker is on Augusta Road (U.S. 1), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located between Alexandria Street and Manning Drive, opposite Hook Avenue intersection. Marker is in this post office area: West Columbia SC 29169, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Saluda Factory Cemetery (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Post at the Congarees (approx. 1.8 miles away); Emily Geiger (approx. 1.8 miles away); Shelling of Columbia
The Cherokee Path Marker, looking northeast along Augusta Road image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, June 26, 2011
2. The Cherokee Path Marker, looking northeast along Augusta Road
(approx. 1.9 miles away); Saluda Factory Ruins (approx. 1.9 miles away); A Bridge to the Past (approx. 1.9 miles away); Springdale (approx. 2 miles away); Mt. Hebron United Methodist Church / Temperance Hall (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Columbia.
 
Additional comments.
1. The Cherokee Path
(also Keowee path) was the primary route from Charleston to Columbia, South Carolina in Colonial America, connecting all of the Cherokee territories. The path was mapped in 1730 by George Hunter, the Surveyor-General of the Province of South Carolina. It ran 130 miles (210 km) from Charlestown to the colonial settlement of Ninety Six, then to Fort Prince George and the Cherokee village of Keowee, the principal town of the Cherokee Lower settlements (in present day Oconee, Greenville, Pickens and Anderson counties).
From Keowee, the path branched out into the Unaka Mountains, usually following streams and valleys, to Clayton, Georgia and up to Franklin and Murphy in North Carolina (the Middle settlements) and across to the Cherokee towns in Tennessee (the Overhill
The Cherokee Path Marker, looking southwest along Highway US-1 ( Augusta Road) image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, June 26, 2011
3. The Cherokee Path Marker, looking southwest along Highway US-1 ( Augusta Road)
settlements) and Fort Loudoun which had been constructed by South Carolina troops in 1756.
In the 17th century it was used by English and French fur traders, and later used as a military road during the American Revolution. South Carolina Highway 11 (the Cherokee Foothills Scenic Highway) traces some of the original path.(From Wikipedia)
    — Submitted June 28, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.

 
Categories. Colonial EraRoads & Vehicles
 
The Cherokee Path Marker seen near the intersection of US-1 and Hook Avenue image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, June 26, 2011
4. The Cherokee Path Marker seen near the intersection of US-1 and Hook Avenue
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 26, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 883 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 27, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement