Grantsville in Garrett County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The mill was prime reason for settlement in this area. In addition to being an important source of grain products for man and beast, the mill served as the nerve center for the area—a place for voting, bartering and news-gathering. Like the three roads and the three bridges nearby, the mill represents major epochs in milling: undershot wheel, 1797–1898; overshot wheel, 1899–1927; modified water-driven turbine, 1928–1943; electric power, 1944-present.
In the 1860s, the mill property was returned to Stanton ownership when it was purchased by William Stanton. The mill was operated by Stantons for five generations until 1989, when Penn Alps purchased the mill from Byron Robert Bender.
Plans are under way for the restoration of Stanton's Mill and with it, a major part of the region's story. All information, stories, restoration expertise and donations are welcome.
Erected by Spruce Forest Artisan Village.
Location. 39° 41.796′ N, 79° 8.4′ W. Marker is in Grantsville, Maryland, in Garrett County. Marker is Touch for map. Marker is behind Penn Alps Restaurant. Marker is at or near this postal address: 84 Casselman Road, Grantsville MD 21536, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Yoder House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The National Pike (about 600 feet away); Mountain Maryland Gateway to the West (about 700 feet away); Castlemanís River Bridge (about 700 feet away); Casselman River Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grantsville.
More about this marker. Marker is one of the Spruce Forest Artisan Village History Walk markers.
Also see . . . Stanton's Mill at Spruce Forrest Artisan Village. This page has photos from inside the mill (Submitted on July 16, 2006.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 16, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,217 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 16, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. 4. submitted on February 15, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos inside the mill • Can you help?